Monday, July 19, 2010

NUESTROS SUEÑOS PUEDEN SER REALIDAD

The Final Inauguration has brought a lot of hope into this group. I feel a great sense of relief that this mural is finally finished but completely grateful for how it's changed the attitude amongst the girls in CIPI as much as the attitude of the volunteers in HELP International.



It's taken us exactly two weeks to complete this wall. During that time the CIPI girls ate outside while we were adding our auroma to their cafeteria. At first it seemed like at the rate we were going, we'd never finish. But suddenly it was done and then bam, it was time to celebrate by inviting all the girls back inside for a huge lunch and celebration. The director of CIPI invited all her bosses and people from local universities to come eat and see the finished product.


The hardest part about this whole thing was accepting the fact that everyone was congratulating me on the success of the mural, calling me "the artist." I was told ten minutes before the inauguration began that I was going to say a few words in front of the entire group of educators, administrators, and the CIPI girls themselves. As the cafeteria filled, suddenly I was being introduced to the people and being kissed on the cheek over and over and over and over....and over. Even though I am definitely an awesome person and I can really shimmy when the time is right (especially after midnight), it was hard to accept all the attention that everyone was giving me. To me, this mural was painted by them. To me, this project was a success because everyone other than me pitched in their time and money to make sure it could happen. In my eyes, more people around me put in the hours that accumulated the two-week's efforts. All I did, really, was draw up some crazy cartoons and tell people to get to work. But I was humbled to see the attention that this mural has brought to HELP International and to the girls who are still stuck in their temporary shelter.


Let me tell you why this project has been a success. At the inauguration, the director over the entire company of ISNA stepped in and said a few words, reminding the girls that "NUESTROS SUEÑOS PUEDEN SER REALIDAD" means that their dreams really can become a reality. She reminded them never to give up hope. Since then, a volunteer with us has grabbed a hold of that theme and created an entire curriculum focusing on how the girls can climb out of their current situation and reach the goals that they have for themselves. Currently we are in the process of asking around at Universities for counselors and actual examples of people who have built themselves a better future. Secondly the girls themselves are more excited to be around us and rather than being smart-elics, they're being more positive in the things that they're learning at CIPI. Instead of shooting down ideas of flying airplanes and opening their own restaurants, these girls are encouraging each other to go for it.


I still don't understand how or why this project has turned out so well. Heavenly Father is always aware of His children, I know. He knows what it is that each of us needs to become empowered and useful instruments in his hands. I feel that He has blessed me so much with the success of this mural, but even more through this mural He is blessing the lives His Salvadoran daughters and they too are coming closer to their Heavenly Father. The gospel of Jesus Christ in these Latter Days is being spread through creative manners.




Now it's time to focus on the success of the little boys here. Let's see how we're able to spread the gospel to these ones.






1 comment:

  1. Jeanette, the mural looks awesome! I can attest to the fact that you can shimmy! Good job, my dear, involving so many people in this project. Can't wait to see the boy's mural!

    ReplyDelete